St Patrick's Primary School
Together Everyone Achieves More. Journey to Learning
To revise the five vowel letter and their short and long sounds.
To know that in some words a single vowel can also make a long sound.
Look at these words and notice the different spellings for the /ue/ and long /oo/ sounds.
blue rescue newt June useful stew
Although a single vowel letter usually makes a short sound, it can sometimes make a long sound.
Look at this word. unit
How many vowels does it have?
Now split it into syllables un/it
We can do the same with du/et, me/nu and cu/cum/ber
Write these words into your literacy book and split into syllables. The first one is an example.
du/et emu unique cucumber tulip music
Parse these sentences
noun verb adjective adverb
1. They continuously hummed their favourite song.
2. I will cut the cucumber and put it in my sandwich.
1. “I sent an email on my new computer,”Granny said proudly.
2. We found an unusual object on the beach during a litter pick.
3. The lifeguard was on duty all weekend.